This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
We have evaluated a semi-automated computer controlled dispensing device in conjunction with microtube technology for the performance of routine blood grouping and antibody screening procedures.
A total of 787 specimens have been tested, 78 with unexpected antibodies previously identified by manual microtube methods. All were tested in duplicate in different order; there was complete agreement in blood group (ABO, RhD) determinations and the unexpected antibodies were found in the appropriate microtube location in all duplicate sets of results. We conclude that the device accurately and reproducibly dispenses cells, sera and reagents.
The savings of technologists' time over traditional manual tube methods exceed 75%, excluding the time to perform elements common to both methods.
The combination of automation and microtube technology offers the opportunity for substantial savings in technologist time with accuracy in reagent and specimen dispensing.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Transfusion and Apheresis Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Automated techniques in antibody detection.in: Hoffbrand AV Brain MC Hirsh J Recent Advances in Haematology. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh1977: 145-158 (No. 2)
- The implementation and use of automated group and screen procedures in a hospital transfusion laboratory.Transfus Med Rev. 1996; 10: 144-151
- The gel test: a new way to detect red cell antigen-antibody reactions.Transfusion. 1990; 30: 109-113
- An evaluation of a gel technique for antibody screening compared with a conventional tube method.Transfus Med. 1993; 3: 201-205
- Sensitivity of column agglutination technology in detecting unexpected and red cell antibodies.Transfus Med. 1993; 3: 275-279
Accepted: June 25, 1997
Received: February 25, 1997
© 1997 Published by Elsevier Inc.