- •Transfusion in patients with sickle cell disease increases tissue oxygenation and decreases the amount of hemoglobin S.
- •Transfusion approaches for patients with sickle cell disease when clinically indicated should be individualized.
- •Transfusions for patients with sickle cell disease have an important therapeutic role in both acute and non-acute settings.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Sickle cell disease.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376 (1561-73)
- Population estimates of sickle cell disease in the U.S.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 38: S512-S521
Lin K., Barton M.B. Screening for Hemoglobinopathies in Newborns: Reaffirmation Update for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. In: (US) AfHRaQ, editor. Rockville (MD)2007.
- Guidelines on red cell transfusion in sickle cell disease Part II: indications for transfusion.Br J Haematol. 2017; 176: 192-209
- Red cell transfusion and alloimmunization in sickle cell disease.Haematologica. 2021; 106 (1805-15)
- Guidelines on red cell transfusion in sickle cell disease. Part I: principles and laboratory aspects.Br J Haematol. 2017; 176 (179-91)
- American society of hematology 2020 guidelines for sickle cell disease: transfusion support.Blood Adv. 2020; 4 (327-55)
- Red blood cells: exchange, transfuse, or deplete.Transfus Med Hemother. 2019; 46 (407-16)
- Comparison of automated erythrocytapheresis versus manual exchange transfusion to treat cerebral macrovasculopathy in sickle cell anemia.Transfusion. 2016; 56: 1121-1128
- A comparison of chronic manual and automated red blood cell exchange transfusion in sickle cell disease patients.Br J Haematol. 2015; 170: 425-428
- Guidelines on the use of therapeutic apheresis in clinical practice - evidence-based approach from the writing committee of the American Society for apheresis: the eighth special issue.J Clin Apher. 2019; 34: 171-354
- Screening for new red blood cell alloantibodies after transfusion in patients with sickle cell disease.Transfusion. 2021; 61 (2255-64)
- Red cell exchange does not appear to increase the rate of allo- and auto-immunization in chronically transfused children with sickle cell disease.Pedia Blood Cancer. 2011; 57: 294-296
- Lower alloimmunization rates in pediatric sickle cell patients on chronic erythrocytapheresis compared to chronic simple transfusions.Transfusion. 2012; 52: 2671-2676
- Safety, tolerability, and outcomes of regular automated red cell exchange transfusion in the management of sickle cell disease.J Clin Apher. 2016; 31 (545-50)
- Automated red cell exchange in the management of sickle cell disease.J Clin Med. 2021; : 10
- A 5-year cost analysis of automated red cell exchange transfusion for the management of recurrent painful crises in adult patients with sickle cell disease.Transfus Apher Sci. 2017; 56: 466-469
- Safety and benefits of automated red cell depletion-exchange compared to standard exchange in patients with sickle cell disease undergoing chronic transfusion.Transfusion. 2021; 61 (526-36)
- Red cell exchange for patients with sickle cell disease: an international survey of current practices.Transfusion. 2020; 60 (1424-33)
- Erythrocytapheresis for chronic transfusion therapy in sickle cell disease: survey of current practices and review of the literature.Transfusion. 2016; 56 (2877-88)
- Vascular access for red blood cell exchange.Transfusion. 2018; 58 (569-79)
- Vascular access practices for therapeutic apheresis: results of a survey.J Clin Apher. 2019; 34: 571-578
- 510(k) Summary: K163001. PowerFlow™ Implantable Apheresis IV Port with 9.6 Fr. ChronoFlex™ Catheter. Food and Drug Administration. In: Services DoHaH, editor.2017.
- Indwelling ports for prophylactic RBC exchanges in sickle cell patients: comparison of bard and vortex ports.J Clin Apher. 2018; 33 (666-70)
- Use of a dual lumen port for automated red cell exchange in adults with sickle cell disease.J Clin Apher. 2015; 30: 353-358
- Use of dual lumen ports for red blood cell exchange: a comparison of adults and children with sickle cell disease.J Clin Apher. 2020; 35: 351-357
- Implementation and 2-year outcomes of the first FDA-approved implantable apheresis vascular access device.Transfusion. 2019; 59: 3461-3467
- New subcutaneous PowerFlow port results in cost and time-savings in a busy outpatient apheresis clinic.J Clin Apher. 2019; 34: 482-486
- Performance characteristics of the PowerFlow apheresis port: Early experience.J Clin Apher. 2019; 34: 661-665
- Strategies to aid identification of apheresis powerflow ports: a case report.J Emerg Nurs. 2021; 47: 21-27
- Arterio-venous fistula for automated red blood cells exchange in patients with sickle cell disease: Complications and outcomes.Am J Hematol. 2017; 92 (136-40)
- Transfusion-related red blood cell alloantibodies: induction and consequences.Blood. 2019; 133 (1821-30)
- Management of sickle cell disease in pregnancy. A British Society for Haematology Guideline.Br J Haematol. 2021; 194 (980-95)
- American Society of Hematology 2020 guidelines for sickle cell disease: prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of cerebrovascular disease in children and adults.Blood Adv. 2020; 4 (1554-88)
- Reversal of severe multiorgan failure associated with sickle cell crisis using plasma exchange: a case series.J Intensive Care Med. 2020; 35: 140-148
- Clinical predictors of poor outcomes in patients with sickle cell disease and COVID-19 infection.Blood Adv. 2021; 5 (207-15)
- Adverse maternal and perinatal outcomes in pregnant women with sickle cell disease: systematic review and meta-analysis.Blood. 2015; 125: 3316-3325
- Optimizing management of sickle cell disease in patients undergoing surgery.Hematology. 2021; 2021 (405-10)
- American Society of Hematology 2020 guidelines for sickle cell disease: management of acute and chronic pain.Blood Adv. 2020; 4 (2656-701)
- American society of hematology 2021 guidelines for sickle cell disease: stem cell transplantation.Blood Adv. 2021; 5 (3668-89)
- Biologic and clinical efficacy of LentiGlobin for sickle cell disease.N Engl J Med. 2022; 386 (617-28)
- Parameters affecting successful stem cell collections for genetic therapies in sickle cell disease.Transfus Apher Sci. 2021; 60103059