- •Unbalanced crystalloids (e.g., NS) are commonly used in HSCT.
- •Crystalloids may be associated with hemolysis and immune dysfunction.
- •Markers of hemolysis significantly changed pre- to post-crystalloid infusion.
- •Crystalloid volume was associated with greater hemolysis and endothelial damage.
- •Alternatives like buffered solutions may be considered in the HSCT population.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Hepatic veno-occlusive disease after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: risk factors and stratification, prophylaxis, and treatment.Biol Blood Marrow Transpl. 2016; 22: 400-409
- New approaches in the diagnosis, pathophysiology, and treatment of pediatric hematopoietic stem cell transplantation-associated thrombotic microangiopathy.Transfus Apher Sci. 2016; 54: 181-190
- Chimerism and tolerance without GVHD or engraftment syndrome in HLA-mismatched combined kidney and hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.Sci Transl Med. 2012; 4: 124ra28
- Endothelial dysfunction after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: role of the conditioning regimen and the type of transplantation.Biol Blood Marrow Transpl. 2010; 16: 985-993
- Plasma-lyte 148: a clinical review.World J Crit Care Med. 2016; 5: 235-250
- Major complications, mortality, and resource utilization after open abdominal surgery: 0.9 % saline compared to plasma-lyte.Ann Surg. 2012; 255: 821-829
- Association between a chloride-liberal vs chloride-restrictive intravenous fluid administration strategy and kidney injury in critically ill adults.JAMA. 2012; 308: 1566-1572
- Balanced crystalloids versus saline in critically Ill adults.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 829-839
- Balanced crystalloids versus saline in noncritically Ill adults.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 819-828
- 0.9 % NaCl (normal saline) – perhaps not so normal after all?.Transfus Apher Sci. 2018; 57: 127-131
- Impact of fluid overload as new toxicity category on hematopoietic stem cell transplantation outcomes.Biol Blood Marrow Transpl. 2017; 23: 2166-2171
- Hemolysis derived products toxicity and endothelium: model of the second hit.Toxins. 2019; 11
Justiz Vaillant AA, MP, Mohammadi O. Graft versus host disease. StatPearls Publishing; 2021.
- Severe cytokine release syndrome after haploidentical peripheral blood stem cell transplantation.Biol Blood Marrow Transpl. 2019; 25: 2431-2437