The role of caplacizumab in the routine treatment of immune thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (iTTP) remains to be established.
A 56-year-old woman was transferred to our center with iTTP and neurologic features. At the outside hospital, she was initially diagnosed and managed as Immune Thrombocytopenia (ITP). Upon transfer to our center, daily plasma exchange, steroids, and rituximab were initiated. After an initial improvement, refractoriness became evident with a decline in platelet count and continued neurologic abnormalities. Initiation of caplacizumab resulted in rapid hematologic and clinical responses.
Caplacizumab is a valuable treatment modality in iTTP, particularly in cases associated with refractoriness or neurologic features.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Transfusion and Apheresis Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
Caplacizumab Package Insert: accessed 6/26/22 - https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2019/761112s000lbl.pdf.
- Caplacizumab for acquired thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.NEJM. 2016; 374: 511-522
- Caplacizumab treatment for acquired thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.NEJM. 2019; 380: 335-346
- Derivation and external validation of the PLASMIC Score for rapid assessment of adults with thrombotic microangiopathies: a cohort study.Lancet Haematol. 2017; 4: e157-e164
- Development and validation of a predictive model for death in acquired severe ADAMTS13 deficiency-associated idiopathic thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: the French TMA Reference Center experience.Haematologica. 2012; 97: 1181-1186
- ISTH guidelines for treatment of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.J Thromb Haemost. 2020; 18: 2496-2502
- Real-world experience with caplacizumab in the management of TTP.Blood. 2021; 137: 1731-1740
- Successful management of three patients with autoimmune thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura with paradigm-changing therapy: caplacizumab, steroids, plasma exchange, rituximab, and intravenous immunoglobulins (CASPERI). Transfusion Apheresis.Sciences. 2021; 60103011
- Cost effectiveness of caplacizumab in acquired thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.Blood. 2021; 137: 969-976
- ADAMTS13 and VWF activities guide individualized caplacizumab treatment in patients with aTTP.Blood. 2020; 4: 3093-3103
Published online: February 10, 2023
Accepted: February 9, 2023
Received in revised form: February 3, 2023
Received: January 22, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
☆This article was completed without external funding.
© 2023 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.