- •Reconstituted fibrinogen concentrate is stable for up to a week post-reconstitution.
- •Extending expiration could reduce product wastage and pre-emptive reconstitution.
- •Pre-emptive reconstitution could facilitate timely delivery in trauma scenarios.
Background and objectives
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Transfusion and Apheresis Science
- Fibrin formation, structure and properties.Subcell Biochem. 2017; 82: 405-456https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-49674-0_13
- The GPIIb/IIIa (integrin alphaIIbbeta3) odyssey: a technology-driven saga of a receptor with twists, turns, and even a bend.Blood. 2008; 112: 3011-3025https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2008-06-077891
- Pathophysiology of trauma-induced coagulopathy and management of critical bleeding requiring massive transfusion.Semin Thromb Hemost. 2016; 42: 155-165https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0035-1564831
- Fibrinogen levels during trauma hemorrhage, response to replacement therapy, and association with patient outcomes.J Thromb Haemost. 2012; 10: 1342-1351https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1538-7836.2012.04752.x
- Fibrinogen is an independent predictor of mortality in major trauma patients: a five-year statewide cohort study.Injury. 2017; 48: 1074-1081https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2016.11.021
- Systematic reviews of scores and predictors to trigger activation of massive transfusion protocols.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2019; 87: 717-729https://doi.org/10.1097/ta.0000000000002372
- A systematic review on the rotational thrombelastometry (ROTEM®) values for the diagnosis of coagulopathy, prediction and guidance of blood transfusion and prediction of mortality in trauma patients.Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2016; 24: 114https://doi.org/10.1186/s13049-016-0308-2
- The European guideline on management of major bleeding and coagulopathy following trauma: fifth edition.Crit Care. 2019; 23: 98https://doi.org/10.1186/s13054-019-2347-3
- FIBRES Research Group. Effect of fibrinogen concentrate vs cryoprecipitate on blood component transfusion after cardiac surgery: the FIBRES randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2019; 322: 1966-1976https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2019.17312
- Biochemical characterization, stability, and pathogen safety of a new fibrinogen concentrate (fibryga®).Biologicals. 2018; 52: 72-77https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biologicals.2017.12.003
NAC Statement of Fibrinogen Concentrate Working Group. NAC Statement on Fibrinogen Concentrate Use in Acquired Hypofibrinogenemia. National Advisory Committee on Blood and Blood Products, https://nacblood.ca/en/resource/nac-statement-fibrinogen-concentrate-use-acquired-hypofibrinogenemia; March 2021 [Accessed 9 August 2022].
Octapharma Canada Inc. Fibryga® product monograph, https://pdf.hres.ca/dpd_pm/00058970. PDF; November 2020 [Accessed 9 August 2022].
- The R package geepack for generalized estimating equations.J Stat Soft. 2005; 15: 1-11https://doi.org/10.18637/jss.v015.i02
R. Core Team. 2022. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria, http://www.R-project.org/; 2022 [Accessed 9 August 2022].
- Stability of reconstituted fibrinogen concentrate in hemostatic function and concentration.Mil Med. 2021; 186: 286-292https://doi.org/10.1093/milmed/usaa409
- Effect of prolonged storage at 2°C–6°C for 120h on the coagulation factors of thawed cryoprecipitate: Can we extend its shelf life post thaw beyond 4h.Asian J Transfus Sci. 2021 -; 15: 146-150https://doi.org/10.4103/ajts.ajts_38_19
- Extending the post-thaw viability of cryoprecipitate.Transfusion. 2021; 61: 1578-1585https://doi.org/10.1111/trf.16366
- Hemostatic characteristics of thawed, pooled cryoprecipitate stored for 35 days at refrigerated and room temperatures.Transfusion. 2019; 59: 1560-1567https://doi.org/10.1111/trf.15180
- Functional fibrinogen (FLEV-TEG) versus the Clauss method in an obstetric population: a comparative study.BMC Anesth. 2019; 19: 90https://doi.org/10.1186/s12871-019-0769-8
- Preoperative fibrinogen levels as a predictor of postoperative bleeding after open heart surgery.Heart Surg Forum. 2007; 10: E392-E396https://doi.org/10.1532/hsf98.20071065
- Thrombocytopenia in cirrhosis: impact of fibrinogen on bleeding risk.World J Hepatol. 2017 28; 9: 318-325https://doi.org/10.4254/wjh.v9.i6.318
Gupta A., Bigham M. 2022. Clinical guide to transfusion. Canadian Blood Services. Chapter 2, Blood components, https://professionaleducation.blood.ca/en/transfusion/clinical-guide/blood-components; April 2021 [Accessed 9 August 2022].
- Modelling the association between fibrinogen concentration on admission and mortality in patients with massive transfusion after severe trauma: an analysis of a large regional database.Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2018; 26: 55https://doi.org/10.1186/s13049-018-0523-0
- Reversal of trauma-induced coagulopathy using first-line coagulation factor concentrates or fresh frozen plasma (RETIC): a single-centre, parallel-group, open-label, randomised trial.Lancet Haematol. 2017; 4: e258-e271https://doi.org/10.1016/s2352-3026(17)30077-7
- Effectiveness of prothrombin complex concentrate for the treatment of bleeding: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Thromb Haemost. 2020; 18: 2457-2467https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.14991
ClinicalTrials.gov. Bethesda (MD): 2022. National Library of Medicine (US). Identifier NCT03572309, Incidence of Trauma Induced Coagulopathy in Patients With Prehospital Administration of Fibrinogen (TICAF), https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03572309; March 2021 [Accessed 9 August 2022].
ClinicalTrials.gov. Bethesda (MD): 2022. National Library of Medicine (US). Identifier NCT03780894, Transfusion of Red Blood Cells, Tranexamic Acid and Fibrinogen Concentrate for Severe Trauma Hemorrhage at Pre-hospital Phase of Care. (PRETIC), https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03780894; July 2022 [Accessed 9 August 2022].
- Protocol for a multicentre, randomised, parallel-control, superiority trial comparing administration of clotting factor concentrates with a standard massive haemorrhage protocol in severely bleeding trauma patients: the FiiRST 2 trial (a 2020 EAST multicentre trial.BMJ Open. 2021; 11e051003https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2021-051003
- Every minute counts: Time to delivery of initial massive transfusion cooler and its impact on mortality.J Trauma Acut Care Surg. 2017; 83: 19-240https://doi.org/10.1097/ta.0000000000001531