Iron deficiency due to donation by apheresis has been known for decades [
], but data on this topic are more limited compared to that on whole blood donors. Because of the increasing trend of both the usage of platelets components (e.g. in the US, an almost 16 % increase in 2019 compared to 2017 [
- Bier-Ulrich A.M.
- Haubelt H.
- Anders C.
- et al.
The impact of intensive serial plasmapheresis and iron supplementation on iron metabolism and Hb concentration in menstruating women: a prospective randomized placebo-controlled double-blind study.
Transfusion. 2003; 43: 405-410
]) and the rising activity of source plasma collection [
- Jones J.M.
- Sapiano M.R.P.
- Mowla S.
- Bota D.
- Berger J.J.
- Basavaraju S.V.
Has the trend of declining blood transfusions in the United States ended? Findings of the 2019 National Blood Collection and Utilization Survey.
Transfusion. 2021; 61: S1-S10
], the number of healthy individuals undergoing automated blood donations is predicted to significantly grow. At the same time, the protection of blood donors from iron deficiency has become one of the major challenges in donor care [
- Penrod J.
Plasma supply in the United States.
Transfus Apher Sci. 2020; 59
] with the aim not to harm healthy volunteers and to retain active blood donors on the long term.
- Kiss J.E.
- Vassallo R.R.
How do we manage iron deficiency after blood donation?.
Br J Haematol. 2018; 181: 590-603
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Transfusion and Apheresis Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The impact of intensive serial plasmapheresis and iron supplementation on iron metabolism and Hb concentration in menstruating women: a prospective randomized placebo-controlled double-blind study.Transfusion. 2003; 43: 405-410
- Has the trend of declining blood transfusions in the United States ended? Findings of the 2019 National Blood Collection and Utilization Survey.Transfusion. 2021; 61: S1-S10
- Plasma supply in the United States.Transfus Apher Sci. 2020; 59
- How do we manage iron deficiency after blood donation?.Br J Haematol. 2018; 181: 590-603
- Elevated risk for iron depletion in high-school age blood donors.Transfusion. 2019; 59: 1706-1716
- Potential impact on blood availability and donor iron status of changes to donor hemoglobin cutoff and interdonation intervals.Transfusion. 2016; 56: 1994-2004
- Prognostic value of red blood cell parameters and ferritin in predicting deferral due to low hemoglobin in whole blood donors.Ann Hematol. 2012; 91: 775-780
- Impairment of short-term memory associated with low iron stores in a volunteer multidose plateletpheresis donor.Transfus Med. 2008; 18: 312-314
- Study of iron stores in regular plateletpheresis donors.Transfus Med. 2010; 20: 22-29
- Double red blood cell collection: comparison of three apheresis systems.Transfusion. 2016; 56: 2362-2367
- Frequent platelet apheresis donations in volunteer donors with hemoglobin < 125 g/l are safe and efficient.Transfus Apher Sci. 2007; 36: 47-53
- Switching iron-deficient whole blood donors to plateletpheresis.Transfusion. 2012; 52: 2183-2188
- Serum ferritin in plateletpheresis and whole blood donors.Transfus Apher Sci. 2016; 55: 159-163
- Prevalence, risk factors, and ferritin testing to mitigate iron depletion in male plateletpheresis donors.Transfusion. 2020; 60: 759-768
- Frequent source plasma donors are not at risk of iron depletion: the Ferritin Levels in Plasma Donor (FLIPD) study.Transfusion. 2018; 58: 951-959
- Evidence of relative iron deficiency in platelet- and plasma-pheresis donors correlates with donation frequency.J Clin Apher. 2016; 31: 551-558
Shao L, Wang J, Zhu S, Lin H. Iron stores in Chinese eligible male plateletpheresis donors. Asia-Pac J Blood Types Genes. Vol. 3(no. 2), p. 109–14.
- Assessment of serum iron stores in regular plateletpheresis donors.Transfus Apher Sci. 2022; 61
Published online: February 24, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2023 Published by Elsevier Ltd.