Due to a national policy change in the management of unused platelet units from September 2018, there was a drastic increase in the number of platelet units wasted in our institution.
Using Quality Improvement (QI) tools, platelet wastages from pediatric heart surgeries was identified as a priority area to work on. An intervention based on the creation of ‘Order Sets’ for pediatric open-heart surgeries was implemented, standardizing standby platelet orders based on type of surgery and patient weight.
This intervention led to a dramatic improvement in the number of platelets ordered on standby, and consequently a decrease in platelet wastage from 47.6% to 16.9% for pediatric open-heart surgeries, without any reported adverse events.
With the creation of Order Sets and continuous education, it was possible to eradicate the practice of requesting unnecessary standby platelets for surgeries. This is an effective patient blood management (PBM) strategy resulting in a significant decrease in platelet wastage rate and substantial cost savings.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Transfusion and Apheresis Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Effectiveness of multiple initiatives to reduce blood component wastages.Am Soc Clin Pathol. 2015; 143 (329-225)https://doi.org/10.1309/AJCP42WMHSSTPHXI
IHI Science of Improvement: Testing Changes - Model for Improvement: Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) Cycles, 〈https://www.ihi.org/resources/Pages/HowtoImprove/ScienceofImprovementTestingChanges.aspx〉.
- Strategies to reduce inappropriate use of platelet transfusions.Nursing. 2017; 113: 18-21
- Strategies for improvement of blood consumption management in the operating rooms: experts´ suggestions.J Community Hosp Intern Med Perspect. 2021; 11: 635-638https://doi.org/10.1080/20009666.2021.1955449
- Blood product wastage reduction by utilising low-cost, low-impact multimodal physician-to-physician communication initiatives. British blood transfusion society.Transfus Med. 2019; 2019: 389-393
Published online: March 14, 2023
Accepted: March 13, 2023
Received in revised form: February 13, 2023
Received: November 7, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2023 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.